Beijing to Shanghai Express - 9 days
- Beijing – roam the streets of China’s fascinating capital independently. Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Silk Alley markets, Hutong area of Beijing, Chinese Acrobatic Show
- Great Wall of China – hike to unrestored sections of the wall, set up camp on a deserted section and watch the sunrise on one of the Wonders of the World
- Mandarin Challenge – enjoy Mandarin lessons with your guides and a lesson with professional teachers in a local language school
- Hangzhou – enjoy scenic boat trip on the West Lake
- Shanghai – explore China’s biggest city independently. The Bund, People's Square, former French Concession
- KTV – sing your heart out in some of China’s beloved KTV rooms (optional)
- ZhuJiaJiao - Travel to the Italian Venice of China (optional)
- Nine Creeks – hike to the spectacular waterscape in Misty Forest
SEMI INDEPENDENT: Uncover China’s bustling cities and stunning landscapes on this group tour. From hiking along the world famous Great Wall and watching the sun rise, to the capitals most iconic imperial sites; from the lush scenery and fresh mountain air in Hangzhou, to the breath taking Shanghai skyline.
Day 1: Beijing
Welcome to China! Our big adventure begins with The Great Wall. On our way there we’ll stop at a local farming village for lunch and set up camp on a deserted section of the famous wall, known only to the locals. Walk along the wall as the sun sets before returning to camp for our first Mandarin lesson with our trip leader.
Day 2-3: Beijing
Rise early to watch the sunrise over the Great Wall before returning to Beijing where the rest of our time in the capital is completely at leisure. For day 3, we recommend visiting Tiananmen Square, one of the largest public squares in the world, and the iconic Forbidden City, boasting over 980 buildings. You can also head to one of the three fake goods markets for a shopping spree or stroll through the atmospheric hutongs. In the evening why not try some famous Peking Duck or perhaps watch a stunning acrobatics performance.
Day 4: Beijing
Enjoy one final day exploring Beijing, perhaps with a visit to the beautiful Temple of Heaven, before boarding an overnight train to Hangzhou (approx. 14 hours).
Day 5: Hangzhou
Arrive early into scenic Hangzhou and transfer to our accommodation. Today enjoy a scenic boat trip to Lesser Yingzhou Isle on the West Lake, which is dotted with various islands and causeways and surrounded by green trees, pavilions and pagodas. Walk around the island and see the three pools mirroring the moon. Return to dry land for some free time to relax or perhaps visit the National Tea Museum or National Silk Museum. This afternoon we hike up Jiuyao Mountain to soak up the sunset views across the lake. Return to the city for a group meal and an evening at leisure.
Day 6-8: Hangzhou
This morning we head to the luscious Misty Forest for a scenic hike along the Nine Creeks trail. Later in the day we take the train to Shanghai, continuing by metro to our accommodation. The evening is free to explore this futuristic city. On Saturday nights there is an optional Shanghai bar crawl. Day 7 is at leisure to further explore Shanghai. Visit one of the many museums to gain an insight into the city’s unique history, go shopping in the local markets, or try the local cuisine at a bustling street food market. On the morning of day 8 we have our final Mandarin lesson in the Mandarin Garden Chinese Language School. The remainder of the day at leisure with an optional visit to the classical Yu Gardens. We recommend visiting Nanjing Road, the world's busiest shopping street, and marvelling at the timeless colonial style buildings and modern skyscrapers at The Bund. End the day with a drink in a hot tub on the top floor of one of these skyscrapers for incredible panoramic views.
Day 9: Shanghai
Today is our final day in bustling Shanghai. There is an optional walk through the former French concession visiting a secretive propaganda history museum, a local artisan lane and the ultra-modern financial district on the east side of the Huangpu River. We return to collect our bags and bid farewell to the group.
- 6 nights hostel accommodation
- 1-night camping & 1-night sleeper train (6-berth sleeper cabin)
- All relevant transfers and transportation using public transport
- Local guides for scheduled sightseeing in Beijing, Hangzhou and Shanghai. Unescorted travel between cities
- Hiking along unrestored parts of The Great Wall of China
- Basic Mandarin lessons with your tour leader & lesson at Mandarin Garden Chinese School
- Train tickets from Denqing – Shanghai
- Great Wall
From humble roots taking intrepid travellers budget-style to Egypt On The Go now enjoy the privilege of taking tens of thousands of customers to over 60 exciting countries around the world on all sorts of budgets. One thing remains, however, and that is their commitment to authentic and accessible cultural experiences in the very heart of our destinations.